Protecting Your Pet from CommonChoking Hazards
We all love our pets and enjoy giving them toys and goodies for chewing. Most of the time, there is little risk to offering these fun and entertaining objects, but sometimes our best intentions can backfire. Sadly, veterinary professionals often see emergencies in which pets are rushed in due to choking on toys or treats. Sometimes the obstruction can be successfully removed, and the pet’s airway restored; other times it’s too late to save a pet by the time they arrive at the hospital. It is important for every pet owner to know the risks to prevent choking hazards in the first place.
Advanced Veterinary Specialists wants you to know about some common choking hazards that can be avoided.
We’d like to pick a bone with bones
Chicken and lamb bones splinter and can penetrate into the back of the throat, the esophagus, or gastrointestinal tract, creating holes that leak fluids and cause infection. Larger, harder bones can slip backward in a dog’s mouth and obstruct the airway or become lodged in the dog’s esophagus or anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract. They can also fracture teeth, causing the animal a lot of pain and creating the need for expensive dental procedures.
The size of the toy matters
Some toys are made for small dogs; these small dog toys or cat toys can easily cause choking in a medium or large breed dog. If you have both a large dog and small dog, it is recommended to choose only larger dog toys for both. Racket balls and the like become slimy from a dog’s saliva and can easily slip into the back or the throat.
Chew toys can also pose a danger
Rawhides and cow hooves are highly desirable chew toys for many, but there are a couple of issues to be aware of. Some dogs will chew the knotted ends off the raw hides, which can quickly become life-threatening airway obstructions. Cow hooves can break into slippery pieces: just the right size for getting stuck in the airway or esophagus.
Danger for our feline friends
Cats are less likely to choke on toys, but they are known for chewing on strings and ribbons, which can pose a choking hazard. Because of their raspy tongues, the strings get caught around the base of their tongues while the rest of the string passes down the gastrointestinal tract and acts like a saw on the delicate tissue. Cats can also chew on plant material that can travel above the soft palate and cause choking and gagging.
In addition to preventing possible choking hazards, it is important that you know the location of the closest veterinary hospital to your home, dog park, beach, walking locale, etc. Be sure to carry phone numbers and addresses of both day and after-hours emergency hospitals. In Santa Barbara, Advanced Veterinary Specialists is open 24/7 and located at 414 East Carrillo Street. We can be reached at 805-729-4460.